Why Moms Should Drink Tea
Posted by Christea on Apr 24th 2023
As a busy parent or an expecting mom, it can be challenging to find a moment of peace amidst the chaos, however taking a few moments to enjoy a cup of tea can offer numerous benefits. Here's why tea is a fantastic beverage for moms:
1. Tea contains L-theanine, an amino acid that promotes relaxation and helps to reduce stress levels. Tea also has a calming ritual associated with it - taking time out of your day to brew, steep and savor a cup of tea can promote calmness and relaxation.
2. Tea contains polyphenols and catechins, which are natural antioxidants that can help strengthen and support the immune system. This is especially important pregnant women as they need to be extra cautious when it comes to their immune health.
3. As pregnancy can sometimes cause constipation and indigestion, tea can help. Ginger tea, for example, can help soothe the stomach and relieve nausea.
4. Staying hydrated is crucial during pregnancy and even more so when breastfeeding. Drinking tea can help you reach your daily hydration goals while also providing additional health benefits.
5. Study say that moms who are breastfeeding or pregnant should limit their caffeine intake, but that doesn't mean they need to give up their favorite hot beverage altogether. Choosing low-caffeine or caffeine-free tea is an excellent alternative to coffee or other caffeinated beverages.
6. Some herbal teas have been known to increase milk production in breastfeeding mothers, such as fennel or fenugreek tea.
All in all, tea can be an excellent way for moms and moms-to-be to take a moment for themselves, reduce stress, and stay healthy during an exciting but challenging time. Remember to consult with your healthcare provider before incorporating any new beverage into your diet, especially during pregnancy, but in general, tea is a gentle and natural way to take care of yourself, inside and out, all year around.