with JASMINE GOLD DRAGON TEA
- 1/4 cup Chinese dark soy sauce
- 1 Tbs. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. finely grated orange zest (from one of the oranges in the relish, below)
- 1/4 cup Jasmine Gold Dragon loose tea
- 1/4 cup rice, preferably jasmine
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 8 whole star anise
- 2 Tbs. crushed cinnamon stick
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 1 tsp. toasted sesame seeds (preferably a mixture of black and white)
In a 9×13-inch glass dish, whisk the soy sauce, sugar, orange zest, and red pepper flakes. Add the salmon and turn to coat. Cover with plastic and marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
Put the tea, rice, sugar, star anise, cinnamon, and reserved orange zest strips in the center of a sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil. (If using thinner foil, use 2 or 3 layers.) Fold the foil loosely to form a flat packet.
Prepare a medium-high gas or charcoal grill fire. Clean and oil the grill grate; set aside. Set the tea-smoking packet directly on the hot coals or on top of a metal burner shield. Put the grate back on the grill and close the lid. On a charcoal grill, leave the vents partially open and wait for smoke to rise from the vents. On a gas grill, wait 10 minutes, then open the lid to check for smoke. If there is none, close the lid and check again in a few minutes.
Drain the salmon and pat dry with paper towels. Brush the salmon lightly with the oil. Arrange the salmon skin side up on the grill grate so that it’s not directly over the packet, and then close the lid. Smoke the salmon, flipping once, until cooked to medium doneness, 3 to 5 minutes per side.
Sprinkle Salmon with scallions and sesame seeds and serve.